Catfish Recap: Fan Fiction Fo' Life | TrashTalkTV

Catfish Recap: Fan Fiction Fo’ Life

Guys, don’t mess with Tracie Thoms. Even if you are just a huge theater nerd and “most zealous” fan. Don’t. Do. It. Maybe that was obvious before this episode of Catfish, but I had never really thought about it. This week she exposes her fan for lying and promotes some film or show that I have never heard of before tonight. RAZE. I think it’s about rape in a maze or something. From her own investigation, Tracie already knew that her super fan Sammie had messed with her online as well as created and killed off a friend “Reese” for attention. But that didn’t stop Tracie from reaching out to Nev and Max to get to the bottom of Sammie’s story telling! That’s our episode in a nutshell tonight.

tracie thoms catfish season 3 whos funeral was that-OptimizedStars, they get Catfished just like us!

So this wasn’t your usual are-they-woman or are-they-man episode of Catfish. I am getting sort of used to that as Season 3 has yet to deliver the gender deceptions (or explorations) of previous seasons. But anyway we know that Sammie was a Tracie Thoms super fan somewhere out in the internets. When the guys do talk to Tracie she tells them about what a good job Sammie did promoting her work by creating silly videos and social networking the bejeebus out of her projects. After Sammie killed her friend Reese though, Tracie called her out and Sammie vanished into internet oblivion (aka stopped responding to her tweets). Nev and Max need to do SOME investigatin’ to check off on their “Catfish Episode To Do List” so we watch them learn more information about Sammie by Googling her already known name and number. So what do they find? First, Sammie has been pursuing other stars in a sort of inappropriate obsessive fashion. This is important because it leads them to the best discovery of MY lifetime, Glee Project Fan Fiction. More about that later. Second, Sammie is still following Tracie under her new Twitter account. And third, from the all-knowing Facebook account, are Sammie’s personal life details including that she has a son, she’s (GASP!) a lesbian, and in her words, “bonus trivia, both my parents are deaf”.  Ladies and gents, that’s what they call a triple threat! Maybe not, but it is definitely a triple-somethin’. Also, Sammie appears to be a serious Liz Gillies fan but MTV tried super hard to blur Gillies (read: not that hard). It’s another actress/singer that appears to be right up Sammie’s alley. Liz Gillies didn’t seem to know that she would be on Catfish and even tweeted about it when the episode was airing Wednesday night. Anyway, back to the show. So the guys take this investigation on the road, still in LA, to meet up with another star that Sammie has been…fanning over. If you didn’t recognize Tracie Thoms, then this next “famous” person will really throw you for a loop. It is Marissa Von Bleicken??  She was a contender on the first season of The Glee Project. Yup, that’s her entire claim to fame. The guys call Marissa, who is also in LA, to meet up and talk about Sammie. Marissa shows up with everything creepy Sammie has sent in her in the past, from poems to love stories and notes that say Sammie “loves hard” and “doesn’t let go”.

season 3 catfish marissa heart sammie tracie thoms-Optimized Jackpot

Sammie was writing Glee Project Fan Fiction and sharing it with the world. Ok so apparently Glee Project Fan Fiction is a thing? The Glee Project is sorta like fan fiction of the show Glee to begin with so this is really digging deep into the sad world of theater kids. And I love the world of theater kids. But you have to admit that Glee Project Fan Fiction infers a whole lot of crazy and imagination mixed together. I had to Google the shit out of this topic to understand what is going on behind closed doors of the internet when it comes to Glee Project Fan Fiction. TL;DL (yes I did) there is a lot of Samuel (the kid that won and appeared on Glee with dreadlocks) and Marissa love fan fiction. I think Sammie wrote such love fan fiction and even sent it to Marissa. Just creepy. Not illegal. If I wrote Catfish Fan Fiction, which I think is the next step after recapping so I can’t really judge, it would be a crossover with Nev and Max on TLC’s Sex Sent Me to the ER. Max lost his GoPro Camera… Well, if you’ve seen Sex Sent Me to the ER then you know where he lost his camera. Obviously they would be played by the HGTV Property Brothers in the reenactments. Jonathan is clearly the Max. See, it’s easy to get weird FAST with fan fiction.

max catfish season 3 tracie thoms-OptimizedThey’re asking for it!

Finally we have the travel montage (hipster music this time!) on the way to meet Sammie. The girl lives in Ardmore, Pennsylvania. This town is a stark contrast to LA and looks awful.  Like really bad, and we have seen some shitty towns on this show.  Wiki says the changed its name from  Athensville to Adrmore in the 1800s. Not a good sign. Should have changed it to ArdLESS if you ask me. The town is even sadder than that joke.  So like really sad. And for some reason, Tracie Thoms has agreed to go to Pennsylvania to talk to this girl face to face. They agreed to meet at some random downtown intersection to make this more sketchy. Sammie comes from around the corner and makes a super FAN FACE the minute she sees Tracie.

catfish season 3 tracie thoms meeting sammie-OptimizedHi Tracie, I love you!

She seems really sweet and admits what she has done. Max and Nev aren’t really ready to deal with this so Nev just brings up the fact she’s a lesbian and all these people that she’s a fan of are FEMALES. Sammie is just like, yea duh so? The heart letter was pretty flirty but Tracie never said Sammie did anything that was too Single White Female. I mean, killing a fake friend is bad and weird but she probably didn’t think she’d get called out in person by TRACIE THOMS. During the final sit down Tracie, Nev and Max reassure Sammie that she has great story telling skills, and with a son, two deaf parents and a taste for the ladies she doesn’t even need to lie. The end! Want more TrashTalk? Follow us on Twitter for updates of recaps as they publish, like us on Facebook for a daily update, watch our TV parody vids on YouTube, or for funny TV pics, heart us on Instagram and follow our TV parody boards on Pinterest!

9 comments on “Catfish Recap: Fan Fiction Fo’ Life

1. stinkyhousewives says:

I don’t know who this Tracie is, but she has way too much time on her hands to be messing with random strangers on twitter. She got what she deserved. Was this just a ploy to get on MTV an appeal to that audience? Most likely. I refuse to believe a grown ass woman would get all up in this foolishness.

2. Charlotte says:

Tracie Thoms is in quite a number of plays/movies/tv shows. I know her face, but not her name…until Catfish (mission accomplished). I mostly remember her as Anne Hathaway’s best friend in The Devil Wears Prada.

This whole episode reeked of desperation. Sammie’s desperate to feel special. Tracie’s desperate to get more exposure (it worked…her voice is amazing!) and Nev’s desperate to get a new spin on a show that could have been retired last year.

and cathyburns: No mention of Nev’s gf! I was surprised. Was this her debut? Is she supposed to shut down the Nex+Max=secret lovers rumors?

3. sarcasatire says:

Watch Tracie Thoms in Tarantino’s Deathproof and fall in love. Her dialogue delivery is so on point in that movie… May have to watch it again tonight.

4. Moli says:

Raze, a horror/action film, focuses on two abducted women & 50 other women who are forced to fight each other using their bare hands….no thank you.

5. labowner says:

Why is Cold Case detective asking Nev and Max for help?

I think this episode shows that Catfish is officially scraping the bottom of the barrel. I fully expect Nev and Max to show up at my house one day because I’m a link in the mystery some guy in Cleveland, OH brought to them because he was chatting with my friend 17 years ago in the Cleveland AOL chatroom and they arranged to meet up at Perkins in the middle of the night and then retire to the Red Roof Inn across the street.

Let me save you the trouble Nev – she was at Perkins. The guy didn’t lie about his appearance – he was very easy to spot as he roamed the restaurant looking for her. Luckily, she did lie about her appearance so he didn’t spot her. Also luckily, she thought to bring a friend (me) so in case she did decide to go through with it, there would have been someone to tell the police her last known whereabouts and what she was wearing. My friend was catfishing before catfishing was cool! (And I mean friend, not “friend”. I’m WAY too lazy to come up with elaborate schemes to lure men to 24 hour restaurants at 1:00AM. However, I’ll usually go along for the ride because I love a good show…)

I mentioned this before – the first season was great, the second season OK, now all we are going to get are wannabe fame whores because all the real people this is happening to are too ashamed to be shown in this situation on national TV.

7. sarcasatire says:

It appears that season 3 is less about people finding love and being catfished and more about the dishonesty of the internet in general. And they’re also trying for a celebrity angle to boost their profile. Real actors, fake rappers…scammers and con artists. I guess it would seem a little silly if 3 seasons in, people are still convincing people they don’t have webcams.

8. Chaosbutterfly says:

I only know Tracie Thoms from Rent, but yas gawd she can sang.

Now with that out of the way, I ain’t got no more respect for her.
    I get it, the whole thing was really weird and creepy, but Sammie was harmless and she wasn’t even talking to Tracie anymore. She was just lonely and looking to talk to celebrities and fangirl over them in creepy ways. I don’t like how M&N sensationalized the lesbian aspect or made Sammie out to be dangerous because she killed off an imaginary character. It was creepy how she filmed the funeral but when you think about it, it’s not that big a deal. The girl wasn’t real; that was the whole point. Tracie, Nev and Max kept saying SHE KILLED HER OFF like the girl was a person or like killing a character once you have no further use for them is a surefire sign of violent psychopathy.
    If that were the case,, we would have to lock up George RR Martin’s non-decorum-having-ass and throw away the key, because he’s a legitimate menace to society at this point. Basically a terrorist.

Anyway, it was mean and exploitative and I felt especially bad for it when they met the girl and she was clearly terrified out of her brain. She also realized that she was doing too much and tried to rectify it by getting rid of the fake character. Isn’t that what Nev is always preaching anyway. So what difference does it make.

It’s also messed up how this was basically a long ass commercial for Tracie, Marissa (easily one of the most boring contenders that season) and that Praze movie (no more free publicity), but Liz Gillies couldn’t get a shout out. If fucking T-Lights can get a shout out, I know they can at least say Liz Gillies name.

They better get their shit together before they get cancelled.
    Ain’t nobody got time for these weak ass stories.
    Bring back Carmen and her multiple voices. I’ll even take Kidd Cole.
    At least he was entertaining.